Large stock pot
10 250ml Mason jars, lids and rings
Sharp paring knife
Cheese cloth and string to make a bag
Sterilize your jars and lids. Ladle finished marmalade into the jars, clean the rims and place the lids on, tightening gently.
The next option is to can the jars in a water bath or let cool on the counter before refrigerating.
Its time to start canning again! This year, we have welcomed the season with a new recipe to take advantage of the fresh …citrus. Yes, I know it is not local, but it is in season.
I hope you love this flavorful and brightly colored addition to your family table and, if it doesn’t get eaten up too quickly, stored in your pantry.
- 3lbs Seville Oranges
- 1 lemon
- 3 cups Ostara
- 2kg Meadow Vista blueberry honey
1. Wash the oranges and lemon.
2. Peel the citrus into broad strips with the pairing knife.
3. Half the citrus and juice them, saving the juice in a cup
4. The seeds and pulp go into the cheesecloth bag. Tie it tightly with the string.
5. Thinly julienne the peel.
6. Add the juice, peel, honey, Ostara and cheesecloth bag to the stockpot.
7. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a healthy simmer, with the lid off stirring occasionally. Reduce until the liquid becomes the thickness you desire. Note: because we are not using sugar, the texture and thickness will not be the same.
8. Pour the rest of the Ostara into a glass to sip while you are doing the kitchen clean up.