Cumin Cashew Crème
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw cashews 1 cup (250 mL) pure water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin powder (or mortar and pestle the equivalent of seeds)
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) Baltic sea salt
- 4 cups (1 L) blackberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Cloud Horse or other off dry white wine 1⁄2 cup (125 mL)
- Meadow Vista honey bee pollen
To make Cumin Cashew Crème: Soak the cashews for at least four hours. Drain the soaking liquid from the cashews and place in a blender. Add the cumin and salt, plus 1 cup (250 mL) fresh water. Blend until creamy, kind of like whipped cream. Store in a bowl with sealed lid until ready for soup.
To make Gazpacho: Add all of the ingredients to the blender and blend until desired consistency (Judie likes it a little chunky). Pour into individual bowls, garnish with a swirl of Cumin Cashew Crème, and sprinkle with bee pollen.
Pair with Cloud Horse and a hot, sunny day!
Recipe by Judie Barta, found in "The Butcher, The Baker, The Wine & Cheese Maker-In the Okanagan" by Jennifer Schell