Honey Glazed Sweet Potatoes, oven baked with apples, butter, and a Mabon sauce. Easy to make ahead and perfect for the holidays!
Yield: Serves 8-10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (a bit more if you like a good kick)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup Meadow Vista Mabon Spiced Honey Wine
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and 3/4-inch diced tart, firm baking apples, such as Granny Smith or Cortland (about 2 medium or 3 small)
1. Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes (leave the peels on), then place whole on a sheet of aluminum foil. Place the foil directly on the baking rack. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until slightly soft when squeezed (they do not need to be cooked all the way through). Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the skins. Cut into 3/4-inch chunks and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the pecans and lightly toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes (watch them carefully so that they do not burn). Add butter and coconut oil, let melt, then add the honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne. Allow the mixture to simmer and bubble for 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully add theMabon—stand back a bit from the pan, as the honey mixture will begin to bubble violently. Let simmer for 5 additional minutes, until slightly reduced. The glaze will still seem a bit liquidy
3. Lightly grease an 9×9-inch baking dish or similar 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Scatter the sweet potatoes and apples in the baking dish, alternating between the two so you have a mix throughout. Pour the Mabon-pecan glaze over the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until the apples are softened (they do not need to be completely mushy—just fork tender) and the dish is fully warmed throughout.
4. Serve with a glass of Mabon- chilled or mulled!